At our EATS Zoom demonstration on Thursday, February 11, Liz Orteig will make a Spinach Potato Soup, just the thing to help us through the winter cold.
If you would like to join the group or come as a guest, please email Sara Hunt or call 203-966-3313.
Spinach Potato Soup
4 cups raw spinach
1 large potato
4 cups chicken broth
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Heavy cream, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the onion till it browns a little
- 2. Add the chicken broth
- 3. When broth comes to a boil, add potato and simmer till potato softens, 10 or 15 minutes.
- 4. Add Spinach and cook another 2 minutes
- 5. Turn off flame and add nutmeg.
- 6. Use an immersion blender and blend the mixture
- 7. Serve with or without a dollop of heavy cream, as desired.
- Can be stored, frozen and reheated, without the heavy cream. Always add at the last moment.
- Other possibilities:
- -Pumpkin, nutmeg and Jim Beam bourbon (a favorite around Thanksgiving)
- -Broccoli with some cheddar cheese added at the last minute
- -carrot with ginger
- -mushroom with thyme
EATS (The Eating and Tasting Society) is a fun, diverse group of 25 ladies, divided into 3 groups. Each group gets together every three months, to plan and prepare a lunch for all the members. Before COVID, luncheons were held either at a member’s home or at Lapham Community Center. Recipes are emailed to members and discussed at the luncheon. There are 9 luncheons each year on the second Thursday of each month (except Dec., July and Aug.).